Director of Instructional Leadership
Director of Instructional Leadership
Location: Washington, DC
Type of Vacancy: Full Time
SUMMARY OF ROLE:
EdFuel is seeking a motivated, mission-driven individual who is passionate about supporting school leaders and schools in Washington, DC to develop excellent school leaders. The Director of Instructional Leadership will be responsible for the supporting the development of the DC School Leader Lab, leading execution and for coaching Assistant Principals and Principals in the cohort. As we partner with Relay GSE, the Director of Instructional Leadership will take part in the National Principal Supervisors Academy during the 2017-18 school year, starting in June 2017. S/he will report to the Partner leading School Leader Lab.
SUMMARY OF ORGANIZATION:
EdFuel is a mission-driven non-profit that provides leadership and talent development to the public education sector. We help great education organizations, including districts, CMOs, and education-focused non-profits, increase their capacity and effectiveness by maximizing their best asset: their employees. For both instructional and non-instructional leadership, EdFuel provides customized support on talent practices from broad organizational talent strategy to individualized, role-specific PD. Through our work with leading school system operators, innovators, and investors around the country, we collect, streamline, and disseminate best practices while utilizing our growing suite of proven tools, programs, and diagnostics. Our approach anchors on understanding role-specific competencies and high-quality job-embedded training, and we are committed to advancing the sector with best-in-class open-source research. EdFuel works with organizations nationally, and has offices and city-wide engagements in Washington, DC and Detroit.
A program within EdFuel, the DC School Leader Lab is launching in 2017 with a pilot cohort of 20 Assistant Principals and Principals from high performing LEAs across DC. School Leader Lab fills a need in the DC charter sector for a comprehensive leadership development program. We develop leaders across the content areas of instruction, adult/adaptive, equity and local context, across the roles of Principal Supervisor to Teacher Leader, and with individuals in teams and with LEAs.
PROGRAM DIRECTOR ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
60% 1:1 Leader Coaching
- Coach Assistant Principal and Principals on a bi-weekly basis in person and via video conference, using Relay frameworks fo r instruction, data meetings, and culture
- Develop deep relationships with coachees and their supervisors
- Prepare coaching scope and structure, evaluate and codify our cohort coaching model
30% Program Design and Development
- Research and build best-in-class school leadership development in the content areas of instruction, adaptive leadership, diversity, equity and inclusion; and design and execution
- Build content for and facilitate Learning Lab sessions (6), Supervisor sessions (3) and Extended Team sessions (2)
10% Relay NPAF or NPSA Program Participation
- Ideal candidate has participated in or been accepted into Relay’s Leverage Leadership program
- If candidate has not participated in NPAF or NPSA programming, he/she must be willing to attend 2 weeks in summer 2017 and 4 weekend intersessions over the 2017-18 school year; maintaining excellent academic standing
- At least 10 years of work experience, Master’s degree preferred
- Excellent track record as a public school principal (charter school experience preferred)
- Evidence that your school (or the schools you manage) are in the top 10% of your local district or state
- Evidence that you (or the schools you manage) had double-digit gains in relation to the statewide or district-wide average gains in the last one to three years. (we favor evidence of a trend of student impact over multiple years)
- Strong relationship-building skills with demonstrated strength as a coach and manager
- Adept at managing through influence
- Deep understanding of adult learning theory and excellent facilitation skills
- Demonstrated commitment to, and comfort with, addressing issues of diversity, equity and inclusiveness – with peers and those you influence
- Proven ability to take initiative and work in a fast-paced start-up environment with ongoing change
- Highly organized with an ability to lead and manage multiple projects at a time
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a specific detail-orientation
- Ability to work across remote teams and independently
- Willingness to travel (depending on the season, the role may include up to 15% travel)
- Shared commitment to EdFuel’s organizational values, as described below
- Passion for education reform and equity for all students
EDFUEL CORE VALUES
- Talent as a catalyst for change: We know that inspiring, talented leaders are the starting point for all effective change in the world
- Diversity: We believe that the most effective leaders reflect and celebrate the diversity of their communities.
- Relentless pursuit of excellence: Our bar for quality is high because that is what students and partners deserve from us.
- Growth mindset: Continuous improvement is central to our mission.
- Collaboration: We believe that education will get better faster when we are dedicated to getting better together.
- Sustainability: We value the richness or everyone’s experiences and we make time for those experiences. It’s an important model for the work are doing.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT POLICY
At EdFuel, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. EdFuel is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
BENEFITS AND SALARY
Salary for this position is competitive and includes the potential for an annual performance-based bonus. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
We are actively interviewing for this role. Please submit your resume and a 1-page cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please answer the following:
1) Why are you interested in this role?
2) What are your top three professional strengths? Please provide an example for each.
3) Provide an example of a successful experience that is most analogous to the role of Director of Instructional Leadership